Schools and Libraries
Karen Patkau (pronounced “PAT-co”) shares two passions in her presentations. One is her love of nature. The other is the art of the picture book. Karen aims to educate and entertain, as well as to give children and teachers insight into the creative process. She would love to come to your school or library. For more information about her visits or to buy books contact Karen.
1. READINGS – JK to Grade 1
Two half-sessions for two groups of students include readings and discussion of Triceratops Stomp, One Hungry Heron and FOREST: A See to Learn Book.
2. WHO NEEDS AN ECOSYSTEM? – Grades 2 to 5
One session for two groups of students includes a presentation based on Karen’s Ecosystem Series: Who Needs a SWAMP?, Who Needs an ICEBERG?, Who Needs a JUNGLE?, Who Needs a DESERT?, Who Needs a PRAIRIE? and Who Needs a REEF? Students will discover how each ecosystem is a remarkable community of living things interacting with its unique environment and a contributor of life-sustaining services for the whole planet.
Venues, Equipment and Details
• Karen can present in a classroom or library.
• Sessions are 45 to 60 minutes in length.
• PowerPoint presentations for Grades 2 to 6 are on a USB Flash Drive.
• A dark room, computer, digital projector, screen, display table and chair are required for PowerPoint presentations.
• Presentations to Grades JK to 1 are without AV equipment.
• A ten-minute alert before the end of a session is requested.